Sunday, July 1, 2012

"The Great One"

The top of the continent, the highest peak in all of North America, Mt McKinley, located in Denali National Park in Alaska, rising 20,320 feet above sea level, was one of my most anticipated visits. It was not an easy endeavor. To get a closer view of the mountain, closer meaning about 70 miles still away from it, you have to take a 5 hour bus ride into the park, to a lake called Wonder Lake. Since it is such a long trip, people usually have to camp the night of their arrival and catch the bus the day after or whenever they choose to go back. This means you must bring all of your supplies, shelter, water, food and fuel with you, because you'll be going "Into the Wild."

My plan was to camp 2 to 3 nights in the wilderness around the mountain base -- Oh, did I mention you are required to watch an hour-long video on wild life safety, sit through another safety talk and obtain a backcountry permit, to then be able to board the bus?

I get to Wonder Lake and immediately notice everyone at the camp wearing their insect net over their heads. Lucky for me, I was prepared and had gotten a mosquito shield jacket that covered me waist up. These mosquitoes were no joke. To put it in simple terms, if you come to Denali during the summer, without a mosquito net, you will die. These blood-sucking creatures were so vicious they swarmed all around me and buzzed incessantly as I tried to cook and set up my tent. They follow you everywhere. Good luck going to the bathroom. Needless to say, I got the eff outta there early the morning after, and as I walked the road to try to catch the bus, I shot this video:



Was it worth it? Clouds and wicked storms that form up in the mountain make it difficult to see the peak most of the year. I was lucky enough to catch a glimpse of this magnificent mountain and its summits at intermittent times; so yes, it was very worth it. Of course, I was prepared for the mosquito infestation, otherwise it would've been the worst freaking nightmare out there.





No comments:

Post a Comment