Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Arctic Circle or Bust

Since driving on the Dempster Highway in Canada, I've been eager to reach the Arctic Circle here in Alaska. So I did. But let me tell you, the road that goes to the Circle north of Fairbanks, the Dalton Highway, is much rougher and nastier than its Canadian counterpart; not to mention me and my buddy Roger almost ran out of gas. Just driving on this road is quite an undertaking. Lesson learned, fill up that empty emergency gas tank sitting on the backseat.




The Dalton Highway also parallels the famous Trans-Alaska pipeline, which pumps up to 60,000 gallons of oil per minute on its way to Valdez.

Anyways, the weather was absolutely incredible the day we headed up there, mostly sunny with a nice cool breeze, and no mosquitoes. At this latitude the sun never drops below the horizon in summer days. In winter however, temperatures can drop to minus 80 degrees Fahrenheit at night.








No comments:

Post a Comment