Monday, June 18, 2012

Northern Rockies

My next stops after Dawson Creek were Fort Saint John and Fort Nelson in British Columbia. After that is a 13 hour stretch to the next big town, Whitehorse. That stretch was one of the most memorable experiences though. The drive is gorgeous and scenic of course, but there are plenty of beautiful mountains, lakes and rivers to explore. I hiked at Stone Mountain Provincial Park during the first day and then camped on the shores of Muncho Lake. Muncho Lake is just as beautiful as Lake Louise back in Banff, with the same incredible aquamarine color, just ten times bigger.... this is a place of endless beauty. The next day I hiked through the canyon and up the mountain right across from the campground, which provided excellent views of the lake below. For the grand finale I ended the day soaking and relaxing at Liard Natural Hot Springs.



 
During these days, part of the Alaska Highway had literally been washed away by flooding in the area. Many people were stranded for days. Lucky for me, when I was done camping and ready to move on, the road re-opened and I was able to drive the last stretch of wilderness to Whitehorse , Yukon Territories.

No comments:

Post a Comment