Monday, June 18, 2012

Yukon, Larger than Life

Yukon is yet another stunning environment. I know I might be saying stunning, beautiful and gorgeous too many times, but these are the only words to describe how incredible Yukon is. I took a detour off the Alaska Highway onto the Klondike Highway up to Dawson City. On the drive there I saw grizzly bears with cubs, about ten black bears, multiple rainbows and the first sight of arctic caribou. I stayed in Dawson City for the night and the next day headed to the famous Dempster Highway, a 457 mile (736 km), gravel-surfaced all weather highway that crosses the Arctic Circle and ends in the Arctic Ocean.












Driving the whole stretch was not included in my itinerary, so I only drove up the Dempster to Tombstone Territorial Park, hiked one of the many beautiful mountain ranges along the pristine tundra and camped for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment